Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Rustic Autumn Fruit Tart

This is a new recipe I found in my new Taste of Home. I haven't actually tried it yet, but I bet it is wonderful. I was going to make it for the Elders last Friday, but they canceled so now I am going to make it for them this Friday. It is a good way to use fresh fruit in the fall.

1/2 c butter
4 oz cream cheese softened
1 1/2c flour
2 large apples peeled and thinly sliced
1 medium pear peeled and thinly sliced
4 1/2 t. cornstarch
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. cardamon(very expensive I would just use cloves or cut it out altogether.)
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/4 c. orange juice
1/3 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. apricot jam

Beat butter and cream cheese till smooth. Slowly add flour just until mixture forms a ball. Refrigerate for 1 hour. In another bowl, combine the apples and pears. In another bowl mix the cornstarch and spices. Stir in the orange juice and brown sugar. Mix until well blended and then pour over the apples and pears.
On a ligthly floured surface roll the dough out in a 14 in. circle. Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet. Spoon filling over it leaving a 2 in. edge. Fold the edge up over the filling, leaving an opening. It looks like a pastry bowl holding the fruit in the picture.
Bake at 375 for 40-45 min or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Spread w/ apricot jam, and enjoy.

No comments: